The Lobby Lounge @ Intercontinental Singapore Afternoon High Tea Review

by - July 29, 2020

The Lobby Lounge Rose De Mai Afternoon High Tea Review

the lobby lounge high tea review

It's finally time to meet my friends again! Now that most of my days are spent at home, I'm starting to appreciate the days I go out because these are the only days I get to make up and dress up.

My friend invited me for an Afternoon High Tea session at The Lobby Lounge @ Intercontinental Singapore on Tuesday. When she first told me the location, I was like WAAAAAH Intercontinental sia - won't be expensive meh?

Apparently Burpple is offering a promotion for an Afternoon High Tea session for 2 at The Lobby Lounge at only $44! I'm not sure what the usual price is, but upon some research on the Intercontinental website I found that their Classic Afternoon Tea "Chantecaille Rose de Mai" is normally priced at $88 for 2 pax.

I only had afternoon tea once or twice in my life, and that was at Artisteaq where I simply wore a pair of torn jeans and a tank top. Now Intercontinental Singapore is next level, so I was a little stressed over what to wear. I ended up wearing super casual (like Brandy Melville from head to toe) because I just didn't have anything "mature" enough in my closet. Everyone at the high tea wore quite attas though.
the lobby lounge at intercontinental singapore
The Lobby Lounge is gorgeous and I love the atmosphere. The words "elegant", "classy", and "luxurious" would probably be what I'd use to describe the place. The ceiling is also decked with chandeliers and I absolutely loved the carpet prints and furnishings which were European inspired and baroque-style.

It is quite difficult to find the location of The Lobby Lounge since you can't just enter Bugis Junction or Intercontinental from any entrance you want thanks to #justcovidthings.

Just a tip: the easiest way to get to The Lobby Lounge is to enter via Bugis Junction and head to the part open-air shopping street - you know, the one where you see the glass roof. From there, you'll see a sign pointing towards Intercontinental Singapore. Follow it all the way to the end and you'll see a security guard seated outside. He'll hold the door for you and take your temperature before leading you into the building. The Lobby Lounge is situated at the lobby - duh - so just tell the staff you're here for the Burpple promo and they'll handle the rest.

My friend and I were seated at one of the low tables. I really liked how the tables are already quite a distance from one another so you won't need to worry about nosy people eavesdropping on your gossip; and of course, it's better for social distancing too!

The staff brought us the menu and told us that we could enjoy 2 drinks each. We got a glass of iced coffee each as well as a fruit tea and flower tea. Can't remember the names of the tea because it was really chim, but both were recommended by the staff as their most popular teas. Both teas were really good and refreshing and was really helpful in cleansing the palate. I really recommend you to get at least a pot of tea because the desserts that follow are very sweet!

Our desserts came on a wooden tray and 3-tier afternoon tea stand. It looked very photogenic! The staff introduced EACH of the desserts to us one by one (which was VERY impressive) and said it was best to start with the warm and savoury ones and end off with the sweet desserts. There are too many dessert names to remember, so I'll link the e-menu here.
rose de mai the lobby lounge high tea review
I just have to review some of the more noteworthy desserts because they were really good. You're probably here for the food pictures anyway, right? ;)

* Paiseh if I get some of the names of the desserts wrong because it is super hard to remember all the names, but my reviews are written based off the pictures of the food so I'll at least be reviewing the correct thing LOL.

Since the theme of the high tea is Rose de Mai, the desserts are mainly pink hued with peach and rose flavours. My favourites out of the sweets were the Strawberry Orange Blossom Mousse Tart, Sakura Mousse Peach Jelly, Rose Praline and Lychee Rose Macaron.

Let's start off with the Strawberry Orange Blossom Mousse Tart. It's basically just a white chocolate shell with stawberry and orange mousse inside. Simple right? But the flavour is so great! I loved how the dessert wasn't sickeningly sweet since the sweet and zesty flavours were well balanced. The biscuit base was crunchy but a little too sweet for my liking.
rose de mai the lobby lounge high tea review (sweet)
Then there was the Sakura Mousse Peach Jelly, an incredibly soft dessert that MELTED in my mouth. Everything was so soft I could basically gulp everything down without chewing. The peach essence was more prominent in this dessert and it had a fragrant sakura smell that I adored.

The Rose Praline and Lychee Rose Macaron were simple, classic desserts. I don't really like white chocolate and typically prefer dark chocolate, but the Rose Praline was really nice. I didn't feel overwhelmed by the milky taste and it was perfectly bite-sized. The chocolate was also incredibly soft and was gone within seconds in my mouth. The Lychee Rose Macaron was definitely on the sweet side but it was one of the nicer macarons I've tasted with a soft texture that made it easy to it. The macaron shell was made of meringue and encapsulated the rose flavoured cream.

Now onto my favourites among the warm and savouries - the Saffron Mashed Potatoes Mushroom Dullexes, Salmon Thyme Quiche and the Salmon with Confit, Raisins, Caramelised Onions and Yuzu Mayo.
rose de mai the lobby lounge high tea review (savoury)
The Saffron Mashed Potatoes Mushroom Duxelles were my favourite! If you love mash potatoes, this would be one of your favourites too. The mash potatoes were soft and warm and felt really nice in my tummy, yet it was refreshing and had a savoury burst thanks to the mushrooms. And oh am gee the 2 salmon ones were also super delicious, especially the Salmon with Confit, Raisins, Caramelised Onions and Yuzu Mayo. This one resembled kueh pie tee and mixed sweet and savoury flavours so well. For a small serving, it packed a great load of flavours too.

There were some desserts I didn't really like, and they were the Prawn Mousse Pita with Pomegranate, Maple Rosella Lamington with Hibiscus Butter Cream, and the Rose Tea Blueberry and English Scones. The Prawn Mousse Pita was too HARD and was difficult for me to bite into, and the scones were on the dry side. Thankfully the Strawberry Jam, Rose Jam and Clotted Cream were great, so I smeared the scones over and over with them.

My friend and I had a great time at The Lobby Lounge and time seemed to pass so fast when we were busy chatting and munching away. The Afternoon High Tea lasted from 2pm-5pm but we stayed until 5.30pm and I really appreciate that the staff did not chase us away.

Speaking of the staff, I also really liked their service and they were very prompt and polite. I also really have to applaud them for being able to remember all the names of the desserts!

My friend and I split the bill and I paid about $25.90 in total, including GST and service charge. Now that's really affordable for all the food we had and we left feeling really full.
the lobby lounge afternoon high tea
I really had a great time at The Lobby Lounge and would come again when they release their new afternoon tea theme. This amazing deal is also only available on Burpple until 30 September 2020 so start booking away.

See you next post!

The Lobby Lounge @ Intercontinental Singapore
Address: Intercontinental Singapore, 80 Middle Road, S188966
Telephone: +65 6825 1046


Love this post? Feel free to share and comment below or check out my Woori Restaurant review.

You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. Looks very delish! I would also like to recommend this list of macaron places you can find in Singapore for anyone interested: https://hyperlocalnation.com/singapore_post/delicious-macarons-in-singapore/

    ReplyDelete