Sushi Airways Review: Airplane Theme Sushi Restaurant At Bugis

by - March 20, 2021

Sushi Airways Food Review


I'm a sucker for themed restaurants. And that's because I'm a hipster. BUT I also love good food, which is why no matter how gimmicky a place is, I ain't going back there unless the food was fantastic.

So today, I'm going to share with you this aeroplane-sushi themed restaurant I chanced upon at Baghdad Street near Bugis MRT. It's aptly called Sushi Airways!

It's highly recommended to make a reservation because the place has limited seats due to its small space. I made a Sushi Airways reservation on Quandoo about two weeks in advance, and you actually have to put in your card details as they will charge $20/person for a no-show fee.

My reservation was at 8.15pm, and I went with my boyfriend. Sushi Airways is right smack in the middle of the busy Baghdad St, where all the Turkish restaurants and Kampong Glam Cafe are. The restaurant is located on the second level, so you have to take the stairs up.
sushi airways bugis
Honestly, it looks hella shady and gimmicky from the outside with the neon lights, but it was also rather fascinating. Once I opened the door and walked up, it felt as if you were walking up to enter a plane. Just look!

Once we entered, we were immediately greeted by the staff who ushered us to our window seats, which was what I requested. I loved how the restaurant looked. The most striking thing was this giant, illuminated bar counter which took up most of the space in the room. Honestly, it looked more like a spaceship than an aeroplane! One downside was that because Sushi Airways is quite small,  y'all are seated in proximity to the next person, although still within social distancing range, but a lil' too close for comfort. We could literally hear every conversation of this couple flirting beside us, and when they were also talking about US.
sushi airways review
Anyway, I loved how Sushi Airways paid lots of attention to their decor, and everything was meticulously decorated. Their menu was designed to look like a flight menu, and there were even 'boarding passes' on a table to serve as a souvenir and photo prop. I mean literally - when I asked the staff what the boarding passes were for, that's what he said!

Speaking of the menu here's what we got. It was such a hard time picking what to eat because there were so many dishes and the pictures on the menu looked spectacular. In the end we kinda just followed out gut and chose based on the pictures.

You can click here to check out the Sushi Airways menu.

For starters, we ordered one Yaki Mono (Grilled Items). First was the Tsukune (S$8) - a Takoyaki-looking dish which was actually a grilled chicken ball with bonito flakes and mayonnaise topping. This was one of my favourites because it was so soft and tender and the aroma of the food was so umami it made my cheeks clench.
sushi airways food review
We also ordered one dish under Age Mono (Deep Fried Items), which was the Kurobuta Katsu (S$18) - lightly breaded and deep-fried pork (black pig cutlet) served with Tonkatsu sauce. My boyfriend thought this was just okay and that it was a little on the tough side which I agree, but the toughness also came with some serious juiciness although it was a little plain. We added some flavour with the Tonkatsu sauce was on the sour side, but absolutely delicious.

I loved the Pumpkin Koroke (S$5), which was this deep-friend mashed pumpkins and vegetables. So simple, yet so good! This was a very underrated dish in my opinion because it was so crunchy on the outside and warm and mushy inside. Yum!
sushi airways food
For mains, we enjoyed two Chef's Recommendation dishes under Maki Mono, which were the Double Shake Roll (S$29) and Soft Shell Crab Maki (S$22). The Double Shake Roll served raw salmon rolls with deep-fried salmon skin, and any salmon lover woud love this! It was my favourite dish of the night because of all the flavours - umami, sour, and sweet with a crunchy texture from the cucumber. LOVE.
sushi airways food review sushi
The Soft Shell Crab Maki was also really good and had flying fish roe as well as cucumber with mayonnaise. It was on the spicier side and I don't really like spicy Japanese food, but my boyfriend loved it. The soft shell crab was amazeballs though, like really, really good and the serving was a lot.

For dessert we ordered the Uber Dark Chocolate Cake (S$9) - a rich dark chocolate mousse on a crunchy hazelnut praline base. This was quite disappointing because the cake was really small and I finished it within seconds, but the mochi served together with it was delicious, soft and chewy. Taste wise, the cake was good but I could get much better cake elsewhere.
sushi airways dessert
My experience at Sushi Airways was really good. I love the theme, the ambience, the service, and the food. Price wise I think it was on the pricier side, but themed restaurants tend to be more expensive and I'm just glad the food was great. The portion of the food was good too, and I'm really thankful for that. Unfortunately Sushi Airways is not halal, and may not be suitable for people looking for more privacy due to the small compact space.

I actually posted a sneak peak of Sushi Airways on my Tiktok, so feel free to check it out too! Some people commented that the place was terrible, but my experience was great so I'm sorry theirs wasn't satisfactory. I think it really depends on luck sometimes and preference - OR I just got lucky with the food I ordered. But for me, I like this place and I hope you will too.

Thanks for reading and see you next post!

Sushi Airways
Address: 20a Baghdad St, S199659
Telephone: +65 6291 1151


Love this post? Feel free to share and comment below or check out my Omote Thomson Plaza food review.

You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. Good share! Anyone interested in checking for more Japanese restaurant options, I recommend checking out this post: https://hyperlocalnation.com/singapore_post/best-authentic-japanese-restaurants-in-singapore/

    ReplyDelete