My Boyfriend's Room Makeover: Super Value For Money & Instagrammable Workspace

by - July 09, 2020

Super Worth It $1,600 Workspace Makeover

room makeover

Hi guys! So with home based learning in full swing and the new Academic Year drawing near, my boyfriend decided to give his bedroom a makeover. Initially I wasn't very supportive of this because we always study at Starbucks so it's not like we'll be home most of the time, but since we don't really go out as often nowadays with Covid-19, I was like, okay, yeah, sure.

My boyfriend gave himself a budget of about $1,000 to give that one small part of his room a good makeover - basically his study table area. I'm not sure if he was really looking into the cheapest, most affordable options or just buying whatever looks good to him BUT according to him, everything he got was "best quality, low price (Wei Xiang, 2020)" so let's just take his word for it.

Spoiler alert: we exceeded the budget btw.

Before we jump into the items he got, here's a before and after shot of the room.
workspace room makeover
Of course another major thing we did was repaint the walls which was initially this weird hospital-green to a sleeker, chic dark grey. I think that alone already made the room super different. Not sure what exact shade of paint it was, but we bought the paint from Nippon.

Now onto the stuff we got!

1. SKADIS Pegboard Combination

pegboard from ikea
This pegboard was supposed to be the main "decor" of the workspace - like this should be the first thing you see. I liked this quite a lot because it has an aesthetic and also "functional" function. We got the SKADIS Pegboard Combination from IKEA for $73.90 and it came with shelves, roll holders, and the pegboard. Keep in mind that the fixing devices are sold separately!

2. BESTA TV Bench

white cabinet from ikea
This BESTA TV Bench isn't the exact one we got - the one we got is out of stock - but it works just as well. This one is quite costly at $195, so maybe you can find an alternative on Shopee or Lazada. Ours was also definitely much smaller so it could fit nicely beside the pegboard.

3. FEJKA Artificial Potted Plant With Pot, In/Outdoor Succulent

3 potted plants from ikea
I actually called my boyfriend a poser when he bought this because buying fake plants is such a white girl thing to do. But ANYWAY, the plants were quite pretty and cost $9.90 for 3 plants so oh well.

4. PRISM+ X315 Max 4K Gaming Monitor

prism+ monitor
My boyfriend bought this one a sale at 52% off, so while the PRISM+ X315 Max originally costs $1,199 he got it at only $579. Such a steal! Delivery was also super fast and it came within 3 days.

My boyfriend and I aren't PC gamers, so I think he bought this because it looked really good and he could use it for screen toggling. The monitor does look sexy with the sleek curve and blue blacklight illumination, so I can understand why he couldn't resist temptation.

If you ARE a PC gamer, you should know that this monitor is really suited for console games in PS, Xbox, Nintendo Switch!

5. Logitech MX Master 2 Wireless Mouse

logitech mouse
After getting the monitor, he was like - oh, I need a new mouse and keyboard too.

God knows why when we already have a proper mouse and keyboard in the house, but whatever, right?

Not sure how much he bought it for, but the Logitech MX Master 2 Wireless Mouse is originally priced at $149. Hate to admit it, but it feels really comfortable to use.

6. Logitech MX Keys Wireless Illuminated Keyboard

logitech keyboard
This Logitech MX Keys Wireless Illuminated Keyboard costs $169 and comes with Bluetooth connectivity, perfect stroke typing, and smart backlighting. I'm quite used to my Macbook's butterfly keyboard so this felt a bit different for me, but it feels nice to the touch and I make much less errors typing on it.

The keyboard is also really sleek and thin, and it's slanted in a way that makes typing easier. So I guessssss this was a good buy.

7. Tesoro Zone Evolution Gaming Chair

tesoro gaming chair black
The Tesoro Zone Evolution Gaming Chair was one of the highlights of the room makeover simply because it's one of the most expensive and unnecessary. I know my boyfriend has had wet dreams about this gaming chair since forever, so I know he really, really wanted to buy this. I like it too because it IS really comfy and large. However at just $259, I think this is one of the cheapest gaming chairs you can get out there, and this one is really value for money.

A few things I love about this PU faux leather gaming chair - it reclines back to 180 degrees with a lock function, has a very comfortable lumbar pillow, and has adjustable armrests. I love it and have recently claimed it as my throne, so my boyfriend will have to live with that.

8. Nespresso Inissia Coffee Machine

nespresso inissia black machine
We also got a nice little coffee machine together with the Nespresso Coffee Subscription at $36. Without the subscription the Nespresso Inissia Coffee Machine is priced at $198. With the subscription, it costs $1! 
Read my Nespresso Coffee Subscription review for a more detailed review on the Inissia Coffee Machine.

9. Some extras

For the finishing touches we got some cable organisers to keep the messy wires in place and some fancy lights - just because. I have to agree with my boyfriend that the workspace looks super good now and probably can double as a club!
room makeover final look

Total cost for the room makeover


Here's a breakdown of everything we got:

  • SKADIS Pegboard Combination $73.90
  • 2 IKEA Cabinets $140++
  • FEJKA Artificial Potted Plants $9.90
  • PRISM+ X315 Max $579
  • Logitech MX Master 2 Wireless Mouse $149
  • Logitech MX Keys Wireless Illuminated Keyboard $169
  • Tesoro Zone Evolution Gaming Chair $259
  • Nespresso Inissia Coffee Machine $36
  • Nippon Paint $100++
  • Miscellaneous $100++

Total cost: 1615.80++

Although we exceeded the budget quite a bit, I think it was expected since my boyfriend kept adding on things he wanted to buy. I do think $1,600 is quite a lot to spend on a room makeover, but considering the things we bought and the quality, it is rather worth it!

Since I also just moved out, I will also be doing a small makeover for my room, though not as large a scale as my boyfriend did for his room. I'm really excited and am waiting for all my stuff to be shipped from Taobao. Till then, stay tuned and watch this space!


Love this post? Feel free to share and comment below!

You May Also Like

0 comments