Birds Of Paradise: I Tried This Michelin-Recommended Ice Cream & Here's What I Thought!

by - January 13, 2020


So I've been going to Jewel Changi Airport recently - almost 12 times the past month - and it's safe to say that I'm quite familiar with the restaurants, cafes, and retailers situated there. However there is one place that I've been dying to try that isn't Shake Shack or A&W...

And that place is Birds of Paradise!

I know I'm a little late to the party as this ice cream cafe has been around for awhile, and they also opened their second outlet at Jewel Changi Airport a while back. Birds of Paradise has also collaborated with In Good Company, a local fashion label (pretty clothes, but pretty price tag too).

Birds of Paradise is located at Level 1 of Jewel, and often has a long, long, line of people queueing up. However the queue moves pretty fast so you won't have to worry about standing until you 脚酸.
So I'm actually not an ice cream person, and I'm also a skeptic. To put it simply, I believe that many things in Singapore are very over-hyped and alot of cafes that look really pastel-pretty often don't taste as pretty. The Birds of Paradise cafe does look really IG worthy so its no wonder the queue is dominantly females or girls with their boyfriends tagging along.

For some reason I was craving ice cream that day, so my boyfriend and I decided to try it out. I tried to have an open mind about this cafe and rate it with an objective mind.
So Birds of Paradise are known for many of their unique flavours, such as Pandan, Earlgrey, White Chrysanthemum, Lemongrass, and the Peach & Rose Sorbet. Sounds sinful? Don't worry - the ice cream is supposed to be more natural and healthier compared to other ice cream!

The ice cream are priced at S$4.70 for a single scoop, and S$7.70 for a double scoop. You can add S$1 extra for their thyme cones, which are freshly made on-site.

I got the Peach & Rose Sorbet, White Chrysanthemum, and Dark Chocolate Sorbet - all with thyme cones. So here's what I think - ratings included:
Peach & Rose Sorbet
This was actually really good and I really loved it. It was super refreshing yet creamy, and had a subtle rose taste that I loved. As it is on the tangier side, those who don't really fancy sour flavours may not like this - but I do.

Rating: 8.5/10

White Chrysanthemum
This ice cream came sprinkled with raw cacao nibs which are apparently a superfood rich in antioxidants and nutrients - so eat away to your hearts content! The White Chrysanthemum is definitely a unique flavour, and it is very subtle. The flavour is very fragrant and light as well. If you're tasting more than 1 ice cream, you should try this one first because the other stronger flavours will mask its taste.

Rating: 7/10

Dark Chocolate Sorbet
If you have a sweet tooth and love dark chocolate, you'll lick this baby clean. It was just the right amount of sweet with a tinge of bitterness, and super creamy. Not too jelak as well. However I didn't really like the texture of the gelato; most handcrafted ice cream have this sandy texture that rubs against the teeth after you've eaten it for a while. Other than that, I have no complaints!

Rating: 8/10

So what do I think after trying Birds of Paradise? I would say they have great ice cream, delicious thyme cones, good service and generous servings. Did it have a wow factor? Not really, but I'd still come back for it the next time I find myself at Jewel, which will be pretty soon. Kudos to Birds of Paradise for such unique flavours and a great experience though, and I hope they continue to do well because I can't wait to see what other novel flavours they'll come up with in the future!

Birds of Paradise @ Jewel Changi Airport
Address: #01-214/215/216, 78 Airport Blvd, 819666 Singapore
Telephone: +65 6241 2554
Website



Love this post? Feel free to share and comment below or check out my Hai Di Lao VS Beauty In The Pot review here.

You May Also Like

0 comments