IVINS Peranakan Restaurant Review (Takeaway)

by - May 05, 2020

ivins peranakan restaurant singapore
It's time for another Upper Thomson food review! If you're looking for a nyonya restaurant at Upper Thomson, please read on.

I've been frequenting this nyonya restaurant at Thomson Plaza for awhile; they're called IVINS Peranakan Restaurant and their nyonya food is amazing. I usually dine in there, but ever since the Circuit Breaker I've been taking away their food instead. IVINS Peranakan Restaurant does offer delivery services on Food Panda and Deliveroo though.
ivins peranakan restaurant thomson plaza
I often order the same few dishes from IVINS Thomson Plaza because they're just so delicious. The dishes are the Ayam Buah Keluak ($10.90), Babi Pongteh ($10.90), Bakwan Kepeting ($7), Nyonya Chap Chye ($13), and Nyonya Chendol ($2.80). Including white rice and GST, the total bill amounted to $51.15.

We actually ordered 2 portions of the Nyonya Chap Chye ($13) because it's just SO good. The chap chye is always very sweet and while it looks ordinary, the taste is definitely extraordinary. I really love the soft texture of the chap chye because I currently have braces so hard food can be a pain to eat. Not sure about you guys, but I also prefer my vegetables to be soggy, including the dried beancurd. The chay chye's portion is usually very generous too!
ivins peranakan restaurant chap chye
My second favourite dish at IVINS Peranakan Restaurant is their Babi Pongteh ($10.90). In English this translates to Nyonya Braised Pork and it's another of IVINS' sweet dishes. It's also usually quite oily so I was a glad that the oil levels were pretty low today. The portion is usually so-so, and there aren't that many pork pieces. However the meat is always super tender (which again, I love because it doesn't hurt my teeth) and melts in your mouth. Also, the gravy is super addictive and I couldn't help but add it constantly into the rice.

Next was the Ayam Buah Keluak ($10.90). It's a chicken tamarind dish with a refreshing, sour taste. I don't really like sour-savoury dishes, but this one was acceptable for me. If you've never tried buak keluak before, it's basically a seed of the pangium edule plant. Fun fact: the seed is actually poisonous, but once detoxified, i's safe to eat!
ivins peranakan restaurant ayam buah keluak
The seed thing looks a bit iffy at first but trust me, it tastes good! Basically the contents of the seed has this sweet mushy taste, and tastes like a fruit. I mean, that's what it is after all.

Now on to my favourite nyonya dish of all time - the Bakwan Kepeting ($7)! This dish is basically a bamboo soup that's filled with pork + shrimp + crab meatballs. Very savoury, very appetising, and I love the coriander in it too. Love how the 5 meatballs were also quite decent in size and filled me up quickly.
ivins peranakan restaurant chendol
For dessert we had the all-time-favourite Nyonya Chendol ($2.80)! I remember opening up the chendol and was shook to see the generous portion. If you love creamy dessert with strong flavour you'll probably love this! Definitely a good dessert choice, and affordable as well.

Before finding our about IVINS, I wasn't really a fan of nyonya food but now I am! IVINS does have a lot of popular branches in Singapore, but the store at Thomson Plaza is a more quiet dining option for those of you who don't like crowds. Order with them today to get your nyonya food fix!

Rating
Food: 9/10
Price: 8/10
Delivery: N/A
Overall rating: 8.5/10

IVINS Peranakan Restaurant (Thomson Plaza)
Address: 301 Upper Thomson Road, #01-59 Thomson Plaza, 574408 Singapore
Telephone: +65 8358 8893



Love this post? Feel free to share and comment below or check out my review of Tsuta Singapore here.

You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. Ordered from Ivins (Thomson Plaza) and asked for sambal chilli. Lady gave a rude glare and appeared unhappy.

    ReplyDelete