7 Best Food Places In Miri That You Should Try

by - August 13, 2023

miri-food-review

Hey, Faithfuls! I recently went back to my hometown in Miri, Malaysia, and went on a week-long food hunt. I was quite amazed by the number of new restaurants and bars that have been popping up, as well as the plethora of bakeries and beautiful cafes. I gave my mom an assignment, which was to bring me to all her favourite food places in Miri.

What to eat in Miri


This blog post will have a list of seven places ranging from cafes to atas bars and restaurants. I hope you find one that whets your appetite!

1. Rasa Sayang Kitchen

rasa-sayang-kitchen-rice

Rasa Sayang Kitchen was hands down the most memorable place I visited. They serve local food here, such as rendang and nasi lemak, as well as banana leaf rice. I tried their Ayam Bakar Madu (RM10/~S$2.95), which was fantastic. The restaurant also serves its food in a very unique way.

rasa-sayang-kitchen-food

First, they lay out banana leaves in front of you, before bringing over rice and different kinds of gravy for you to choose. All you need to do is sit there, and they'll bring the different ingredients over for you to add on to your rice. Other dishes that I recommend are Chicken Masala (RM10/~S$2.95) and Fried Squid (RM10.90/~S$3.21).

2. Momiji Authentic Japanese Restaurant

momiji-miri

Momiji Authentic Japanese Restaurant is my favourite Japanese restaurant in Miri. The food here is super legit, as they're owned by a Japanese family. My most favourite dish is Hiyashi Chuka (RM15/~S$4.42), which is essentially cold Japanese noodles topped with tamago, chashu, and vegetables. The broth is one of the most umami I've ever had. I always crave these noodles, even when I'm in Singapore.

3. LCP Cafe

lcp-cafe-kolo-mee

LCP Cafe is located just a 10-minute walk from my house, which is why I've been savouring their delicious curry rice and kolo mee since I was a kid. They also serve amazing Milo peng, which is super gao, super sweet, and super thick.

lcp-cafe

Just remember to come down before 11am, as their curry rice usually sells out by then.

4. The Wine Trading

the-wine-trading-miri


Come to The Wine Trading if you really want to splurge. My mom says they have the best steak in Miri, and she was right! I dare say the steak here was even better than most I've had in Singapore. To order, you have to head to the counter, which displays a wide variety of meats. Just tell the staff which types of meat and which cuts you want, and how you want them done. I recommend pairing your steak with some wine too. Our bill totalled about RM600 (~S$176.86) for four people.

5. Maan Cafe & Restaurant

maan-cafe-miri

Maan Cafe & Restaurant serves Bidayuh cuisine, which is something relatively unique in Miri. If you're Singaporean, you will be familiar with the term "economy rice". This eatery basically serves Bidayuh food but in economy rice-style. You get your plate, take your rice, and head up to the food display to get your own food. Then, you bring it to the cashier and the staff will calculate how much the food costs.

The food here is relatively simple and it's quite vegetable-centric, which I like! It tastes healthy and delicious.

6. The Coffee Code

the-coffee-code

The Coffee Code is one of the newer cafes in Miri Times Square, and they sell cakes, pancakes, and coffee. The cafe also spans two levels, so you can choose to sit downstairs and watch people come in and out, or retreat upstairs for cosier conversations. They offer a wide variety of desserts and pastries, but TBH, I think the cakes taste so-so only. The Classic Pancake (RM12/~S$3.54) was not bad, and even though it wasn't the fluffiest, I enjoyed it. The coffee here can be very sweet, so you can request less sugar in your drinks!

7. Kenny's

kennys-miri-food

Kenny's is my mom's favourite restaurant in Miri, and my parents have been loyal customers of theirs since they relocated to Super OYO, which is located right opposite my house. My favourite dishes are the Squid Ink Pasta With Octopus RM38/~S$11.20): braised Hokkaido octopus, squid ink, spaghetti, and shimeji, and Ahi Katsu (RM32/~S$9.43), comprising bluefin tuna from Thailand, cauliflower puree, and Yuzu sauce. Kenny's serves lunch and dinner omakase as well, priced from RM498 (~S$146.79) per person, so do check it out!

Food in Miri


Coming back to Miri always feels like a nostalgic food journey for me––savouring local delights, revisiting old favourite hangouts, and stumbling upon new cafes that add an exciting twist to the mix. Miri never stops surprising, and if you're up for some exploring, you're bound to uncover hidden gems!

Thanks for reading, and see you next post!


Love this post? Feel free to share and comment below or check out more food in Miri. Follow my Instagram @faithjoanchua and YouTube for more content.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Klook.com