Wait, What? 5 Things I Did Like About Hall: What It's Like

by - May 08, 2020

Things I Liked About Hall


OMG did Faith just say she had things she liked about Hall? Am I on the right blog?

Well, yup! As miserable as my 2 years in Hall were, there were actually a few aspects of it that I really liked. And this is coming from ME, guys - literally the most hated person in SH as of right now - so if I say I have things I liked about it, you gotta believe me.

I actually wanted to write blog posts on both the good and bad of living in Hall, but I put this off for a while because everything was so trrriiigggerrinnnnngggg but I'm feeling so much better now after venting all I had to vent, so yeapsies.

Let's jump right back into memory lane!

1. CCAs were really fun


Ok so when I say CCAs, I specifically mean the sports and cultural CCAs. Throughout Year 1 and Year 2 I joined my Hall band and it was honestly one of the most fulfilling CCAs I had. I met a lot of really talented people there and learned a lot from them as well. So in band I played keys and I remember when I first joined band I was like this smol poop who was always super nervous about messing up, but my seniors were very encouraging and always let me improvise and do what I felt was best. I also think band was what made me grow in more confidence as a keyboardist, and it was because of my band members that I started believing that I was good enough and talented enough too.

Band was a bit shag at times especially when performances drew near, but I think that was also what made it so memorable. I remember this 3am band practice I had with a 10am class the next day and it was just so INSANE and fun. Generally music is what makes me happy and band was my happy place. I also really liked my band members and although I wasn't really close to all of them, we all connected through music and that was the most important thing!

Our concerts were also super duper fun because it was really just all about enjoying ourselves and we held them at really cool venues like Sentosa. After concerts we had after-parties as well, and that was when I'd become my boyfriend's PR manager and get everyone to party at the club he DJs at.

In Hall, I also re-found (?) re-visited (?) regained my interest in volleyball. I played volleyball competitively for about 10 years before coming to Singapore, but I stopped when I went to poly because I just didn't have time.

I know y'all fucking shook right, Faith so short how to play volleyball.

But yeah I was basically a libero for most of my volleyball life and I really loved that position. When I went to Hall I decided to take up volleyball again, and even though I wasn't as good as before and our team literally got trashed during the Inter-Hall games, I still really enjoyed the CCA in general.

2. I LOVED Comm Hall food


Ok don't laugh. I know a lot of people say they NEVER see me at Comm Hall, but I actually eat the food there quite often. I just go down when there's less people because I know I won't survive my social anxiety.

I don't really understand why people don't like Comm Hall food. It's free, it's not that bad, and if you're nice the auntie gives you more food.

I think I've probably only eaten physically at the Comm Hall less than 15 times throughout my 2 years in Hall, and I really feel bad for the times my friends asked me to eat with them and I was like NOOOO IDW TO SEE PEOPLE!!!

But yeah just a tip, if you hate crowds like me, just go down after 8pm. Usually you'll get served more food during this time too.

3. The insane welfare culture


One thing I really have to give my Hall credit for was the welfare culture. It's really damn tok kong. I think you get at least 1 welfare every month whether it's from your block heads or level reps or just random friends, and when I was in Year 1 my level rep was seriously the best because he baked shit for us all the time and fed me with alcohol when I was sad.

During exam periods we also get free breakfast from Macs or prata for supper, along with free flow liang teh 24/7. During concerts you get a bunch of flowers from friends. And for Valentine's Day, our block's Residential Fellow always gives roses to all the girls in our block. Damn sweet right.

Honestly I was a bit pressured when we need to do bonding stuff like Angel and Mortal because I don't know how to cook or bake shit, so I know that I actually have to spend money to get something nice for the other person. So if you're someone who knows how to make stuff or bake cookies, good for you la cos at least your money won't fly.

4. You meet some really open minded people


Obviously I didn't have that many friends in Hall, but I had very meaningful friendships with the people I was close to. Some people I met were really very open minded, and I think that was what drew me to them in the first place. We would just talk about a lot of shit in each other's room without any judgement, and it felt like we knew each other for a long time despite being friends for just a few months.

A lot of these friends of mine left in Year 2, so it was a bit lonely for me after that, but I'm still grateful that I had these people with me for a year. Maybe it's because everyone lives in such close proximity so they're really open about entering each other's personal and mental space, but yeah I was quite shook when I told someone a super deep dark secret and they would listen and give really good advice.

5. Hall is just so near school


This is a given, but especially because I was from FASS, it took me only 10 mins to get to class. I don't really care about dressing up for class and whatnot so it usually took me 15 minutes to get ready in the morning and I'll already be out the door.

It's especially convenient when you need to meet group mates for projects JUST for 2 hours and you don't need to travel allllllllll the way to NUS simply for that.

On the other hand I felt like my room was very comfortable. And NO don't say "It's because you got aircon, Faith". It really was very cosy and nice to live in - even without air conditioning. I liked having my own little space and being able to decorate it the way I wanted to. But of course la the aircon was a plus and I was always wearing my hoodie in my room.

If you ask me, this would be the second thing I miss the most about Hall - having my own little space!

THE END


I thought that this would be a nice post to wrap up this entire Hall saga, because I really want to end everything on a more positive note. I mean, every situation has a silver lining, right? Come to think of it, if I didn't go to Hall, I wouldn't have had any close friends in uni because I'm already such an introvert to begin with, and I probably would just be studying everyday and have no life. If I didn't go to Hall, I wouldn't have met my boyfriend who is a very strong pillar in my life and one of my greatest supporters. If I didn't go to Hall, I would have missed out on a lot of things as well, and even if it was shitty as fuck, at least I DID have a uni life.

So yeah, this is my last post on this topic and I'm closing the chapter and giving myself the closure I needed but never got.

Thnks fr th mmrs.

PEACE.

OUT!


You May Also Like

0 comments