Isshin Machi @ GR.ID: Authentic Taiwanese Food Review

by - August 31, 2021

Hey friends! If you didn't know by now, PoMo at Dhoby Gaut has since changed to GR.ID, this lifestyle and entertainment shopping mall. My boyfriend and I were in the area food hunting when we came across Isshin Machi, a Taiwanese restaurant near the entrance of the mall. Since the queue wasn't very long and the place looked quite inviting, we decided to try it out.
isshin-machi-grid
Isshin Machi: Interior
The vibe of the place is very bright and bustling, and you can hear people chattering and laughing away. I think there used to be live music playing here as well until Covid happened since there was a mini stage with instruments lying around it.
isshin-machi-taiwan
Isshin Machi: Interior
We ordered our food really quick because we were very hungry, and I appreciate that the menu had illustrations of the food so we could visualise what every dish looked like.

For sharing plates, we got the Pork Wontons with Fiery Chili Oil (S$6) and the Kung Pao Chicken (S$16.90). Both dishes were great! The Pork Wontons were my favourite because of the chili oil, although it was a little spicier than I would have liked. Overall the flavours were strong and it really got my stomach juices going.
isshin-machi-food
Isshin Machi: Pork Wontons with Fiery Chili Oil
The Kung Pao Chicken was also delicious as it was super crispy and savoury. However, I had to stop myself from eating too much as this dish was the kind where you'd eat too much of it and feel a sore throat coming!
isshin-machi-kung-pao
Isshin Machi: Kung Pao Chicken
My boyfriend got the Specially Marinated Pork Chop Noodles In Beef Soup (S$12.90) which came with these Guan Miao Noodles. The noodles were chewy and bouncy and the broth was really savoury despite being a little salty. The beef cubes were so-so, a little on the tougher side but there were a teeny weeny bit of fats so it was not too dry.
isshin-machi-food-review
Isshin Machi: Specially Marinated Pork Chop Noodles In Beef Soup
I had the Shrimp & Kimchi Fried Rice (S$13), and while this one took almost 20 minutes to come, it was worth the wait. It came in a huge portion and I immediately could see that the prawns were quite fresh. The kimchi was on the sweeter side and went very well with the flavourful rice.
isshin-machi-fried-rice
Isshin Machi: Shrimp & Kimchi Fried Rice

View the Isshin Machi menu


For drinks, we had the Taiwanese Roselle Tea (S$3) and Taiwanese Black Sugar Winter Melon (S$3), both iced. The Taiwanese Roselle Tea was on the sourer side which was very refreshing.
isshin-machi-roselle
Isshin Machi: Taiwanese Roselle Tea
On the other hand, the Taiwanese Black Sugar Winter Melon (S$3) was on the sweeter side and really helped to cool the body and cleansed the palate. My boyfriend liked it so much he ordered one more glass.
isshin-machi-winter-melon
Isshin Machi: Taiwanese Black Sugar Winter Melon
One thing I like about this place was that the food was decent, the prices were reasonable, and the portions were generous. It's quite rare nowadays to find places which check all these boxes. I would definitely come again if I mind myself craving Taiwanese food.
That's all for today's food review, see you next post!

Isshin Machi @ GR.ID
Address: 224 E Coast Rd, S428921
Telephone: +65 9739 8224


Love this post? Feel free to share and comment below or check out this 15 Stamford By Alvin Leung review. Follow my Instagram @faithjoanchua and YouTube for more content.

You May Also Like

0 comments