Switch Booth Review: I Checked Into A Study Booth @ Tamp One

by - October 06, 2021

switch booth

Hey friends! So I just want to share with you this really cute experience I had recently. I visit Tampines once a month to get my braces tightened and I'd usually meet some friends after. Sometimes my session would end earlier or my friends would be late, so I would find myself wandering around Tampines not knowing what to do.

Usually, I would just go into a Starbucks or Coffee Bean and buy a cuppa just so I have a place to relax and chill, but that changed after today. Like completely changed. So I would always walk past these Switch booths at Tampines One and peek inside curiously just to see what it was. Apparently, it's a study or work booth and you can rent it on an hourly basis. I had almost two hours to kill, so I decided to just try it out, purely out of curiosity.

switch-tampines-review

I downloaded the Switch app onto my phone and keyed in my card details. There is this QR code next to the door of the Switch booth, so I followed the instructions via the app and and scanned it. Immediately, I could here the door click open, and I walked in.

The Switch booth is rather small but quite cosy. It is really meant for just one person. Inside was a single chair, a desk, and some hand sanitiser.

switch-booth-review

On the right side of the door I saw a user guide for the booth as well as some house rules. There's also free WiFi and a Bluetooth speaker so you can blast your Spotify playlist. The room was quite soundproof too.

switch-booth-tampines

Inside the booth was also a single wall outlet so you could charge your devices. My phone was almost dying so I was really grateful that I could charge my phone, and really quickly too!

switch-booth-singapore

These Switch booths do stick out like a sore thumb in public, so it is normal for curious shoppers to stop and peek in and see what the heck is going on inside. However the door is half-opaque so they won't really be able to see you unless they really try to squint.

I used the Switch booth for about 45 minutes and it cost me about $3.40++. I won't say this is super cheap, but it is quite worth it if you just need a place to sit and charge your phone for under an hour, compared to going into a Starbucks and paying more than S$7.

You can also leave the booth and come back anytime you want. All you need to do is leave the booth and when you come back, press the 'Re-enter' button on the app. Scan the QR code on the door and it will open for you.

Booths at different locations have different rates, and you can check them out on the app. There are occasional promotions and first-timer discounts which allow you to use the booths from anywhere between S$3.60-S$7.20/hour depending on the location and number of seats.

Checking out of the booth was easy - just tap on the the 'Check Out and Pay' button on the app, and hold the QR code to the scanner outside the door to pay. Then, you're done!

I'm not sure if many people use the Switch booths, but I really think more people should! Especially now with Covid-19, many cafes are clamping down on students studying inside so these booths would be an alternative way to do work outside. But like I said, S$3-S$7/hour is not very cheap if you're staying for very long - compared to if you buy a cup of Starbucks for S$7 and sit the whole day - so it really depends on how long you're looking to use the booth.

So if you ever chance upon one of these orange Switch booths and have some time to kill, do give it a try! Thanks for reading, and see you next post.

Book a booth at Switch



Love this post? Feel to share and comment below or check out these five cafes in Singapore that let you study. Follow my Instagram at @faithjoanchua and YouTube for more content.

You May Also Like

4 comments

  1. I just found out about the existence of Switch Booths and am very happy to read such a detailed review with ample photos from you! Thank you for creating this post, Faith! Love it ^^~<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, great review? Where exactly is it at Tampines One? I can’t seem to find it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg!I have been looking for work pods i thought it only exist at overseas!!! May i know which part of tampines one is located at please?

    ReplyDelete

Klook.com