Canchita @ Dempsey: Peruvian Restaurant Food Review

by - May 29, 2022

canchita-food-review

Hey, Faithfuls! Welcome to another food review and today I will be blogging about this Peruvian restaurant located at Dempsey - Canchita Peruvian Cuisine. To be very honest, I have no idea what Peruvian food is and when my boyfriend asked me to locate it on the world map, I couldn't do it. So I did a quick Google and found that Peruvian food is actually very unique because it is a mixture of international and local flavours. You can find so many different influences - European, Asian, and even African. I thought the food reminded me of Mexican food, but apparently, both cuisines are quite different.

I wanted to visit Canchita in the afternoon because the restaurant is set up to look like you're dining in a safari... and that's another big appeal! To go to Canchita, we had to go down these flights of stairs before getting to their main entrance. Even from the outside, we could tell that the restaurant was huge.

canchita

The restaurant was almost full when we were there - after all, it was a weekend afternoon. I was surprised that many people dressed up, particularly the women, with some even wearing elaborate dresses. For the photo ops, maybe?

canchita-dempsey

The table we were assigned was just in front of the open-concept kitchen, so we could see the busy chefs at work.

Since it was our first time at Canchita and (also our first time ordering Peruvian food), we asked the staff for recommendations. Here's what we got!

Our first dish was these starters called Patacones (S$14) which were green plantain crackers with guacamole. The crackers were deep-fried to perfection and were very crispy. The guacamole was also on the chunkier side with a very rich flavour.

canchita-review

Our second dish was another plate of small bites - the Lobster Tequeños (S$19). They were these crispy lobster fritters with mozzarella cheese and Peruvian yellow chilli sauce.

canchita-lobster-roll

Next, the Peruvian Prawn Omelette (GF) (S$32), a traditional Peruvian-style dish with grilled prawns, and crispy Peruvian corn. The omelette was very thin and it reminded me of the egg in a zi char sizzling hot plate tofu. The taste was on the sour-spicy side. GF means 'gluten-free', BTW!

canchita-omelette

We were also recommended the Weekend Tacos (GF) which came in a set of two. We got two orders - one was beef (S$24) and the other chicken (S$18). These were Mexican tacos with corn tortilla and beans, onions, coriander, and chilli sauce. I preferred the chicken because the beef was on the fattier side (and I don't like fatty meat). The tacos were delicious, and if I had one complaint, that would be that the tortilla wrap was very floppy.

canchita-tacos

The only main dish we had was one from the seasonal menu. We were very surprised to see that there was a Cantonese-Peruvian menu, and it was supposed to be for Chinese New Year. Apparently, there are quite a lot of Cantonese people in Peru, according to the staff who was sharing about the country's history. Based on his recommendation, we ordered the Aeropuerto (S$58), an expensive but rather underwhelming dish. It consisted of a traditional mix of fried rice and noodles and lobster, calamari, pork, and octopus. Don't get me wrong - I don't think it was bad, but it was not worth the S$58. The lobster was also quite hard and chewy.

canchita-food-review-sg

View the menu for Canchita Peruvian Cuisine


For drinks, we ordered the Chichamorada (S$8) which was this Peruvian purple corn juice with apple, pineapple, and cinnamon. I liked this drink a lot! It was sweet and very refreshing.

canchita-peruvian-cuisine

Although the main dish was disappointing, I thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the dishes. I also thought it was a really good idea to order more sides as we got to taste a variety of dishes. The portions are also decent and we went home with bulging stomachs. Now, if someone were to ask me what Peruvian food is like, I still probably won't have an answer. The food is so unique and every dish had its own specific influences. So if you're an adventurous foodie, you definitely won't be disappointed with Canchita because every dish here offers a surprising twist. I'm feeling generous, so I'll give this place five stars!

That's all for today's Canchita review. Thank you so much for reading, and see you next post!

Make a reservation for Canchita Peruvian Cuisine


Canchita Peruvian Cuisine @ Dempsey
Address: Dempsey Rd, 9A 9B, S247698
Telephone: +65 8028 1994Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐



Love this post? Feel free to share and comment below or check out these other restaurants located in Dempsey. Follow my Instagram @faithjoanchua and YouTube for more content.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Klook.com